Thursday, February 20, 2014

Crocheting

One of my favorite activities to do in my spare time is crocheting. I’ve been crocheting for about 5 years and learned how to crochet from my mom. She tried to teach me while I was still in high school; however, I found the learning process very frustrating and difficult so I was not successful in my first attempt to learn how to crochet. My freshman year of college I was inspired to attempt to learn again by my suitemate who had a real knack for crocheting. She created animals, food, Christmas trees, scarves, blankets and various other projects without the use of a pattern. I used to ball the skeins of yarn she had for projects and watch in amazement as new creations came to life. I decided that year that I wanted to try crocheting again and on my second attempt I was successful despite some difficulties along the way. I enjoy crocheting because I find it relaxing and I can do repetitive, less complex projects while watching TV or listening to music. It’s also a novel activity and great way to make a gift for someone or to make something for yourself. My family and friends love the homemade crocheted gifts I’ve given them. I’ve made wallets, scarves, blankets, animals, food, potholders and other various creations. I also feel a great sense of accomplishment when I finish a new project or learn a new stitch.

Vocabulary
Crochet(-ing) (noun)/ Crochet (verb)/Crocheted (adj): a craft that uses yarn and a metal or plastic tool (a needle) of various sizes with a hook.
Introduction to Crocheting - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbZIQ0TKIo8
Suitemate (noun): someone who lives in the same general space but in a different room, generally in a college dorm
Knack (noun): talent, skill for an activity      
Pattern (noun): repetition, directions for creating something
Ball (verb): to form a circular shape out of yarn; (noun) item made of plastic, rubber or various other materials that is generally circular and is commonly used in sports and games
Skein (noun): yarn in an oblong shape; the shape in which yarn is sold in a craft store
Stitch (noun): loops created by a crochet/knitting needle; a closure for a bad wound

Vocabulary Exercise:
1.      She has a ________ for soccer.
2.      Crocheting uses a number of ___________ for different projects.
3.      Do you like the solid colored dress or the dress with the ________ better?
4.      My grandma _________ a blanket for the new baby.
5.      While watching my favorite show I _________ some new yarn.
6.      I have _________ of yarn in various colors.
7.      Her __________ doesn’t go to sleep until 3 in the morning.

Grammar Point: Pronouns
Words that replace nouns. Limited number of pronouns. Help vary writing.  
Singular – I, You, He, Him, She, Her, It
Plural – We, Us, You (All), They, Them

Grammar Exercise:
Rewrite the sentence and replace the word in bold with the appropriate pronoun.
1.      I went to the movies with my friends.
I went to the movies with ___________.
2.      Joe bought 4 bottles of soda and 3 bags of chips for the party.
_____ bought 4 bottles of soda and 3 bags of chips for the party.
3.      Katherine met with the professor after class.
Katherine met with ______ after class.
4.      My cousins and I love to watch sports together.

_________ love to watch sports together. 

No comments:

Post a Comment